Illustrating Paris with Elodië Nadreau

Paris

0 comments



From Rochas and Nina Ricci to Ladurée, Parisian il- lustrator Ëlodie Nadreau’s list of clients includes some of the biggest names in Paris. Her pastel and poetic works illustrate the prettiest and most beautiful side of the city, whilst capturing nostalgic elements of Paris and the lifestyle. From colourful creations featuring children to straight-o -the-runway illustrations, Ëlodie’s talent covers a range of themes. She’s had work exhibited in USA, Europe, Australia and also featured in publications such as Elle, Marie-Claire, Cosmopolitan. We caught up with the French artist to talk her beginnings as an illustrator, proudest works and favourite art spots in Paris.



How did you get started as an Illustrator?
For as long as I remember, I always drew or creat- ed stu . In my childhood I was fascinated by Disney's movies (and still am today) and my first idea was to become a cartoon animator. So I studied 2D and 3D animation, and after my degree I joined an agency and began to work for tv cartoons.
But there was something missing. So one day, I just quit my job and took one year drawing non- stop to finnd my own style and build a professional portfolio. I started to receive my rst illustrator orders in the beginning of 2010 and then I joined my representative team, Colagene, in 2011. This is the moment my career as a Fashion illustrator re- ally started as I received my first important orders in advertising.

Why Paris? Have you always been based here?
No, I was born and raised in a little island in the west coast of France called OlÈron island. I had to leave it for my studies and after Bordeaux and AngoulÍme I naturally landed in Paris which is the best place to become a fashion illustrator!
I'm really attached to my little island where I go back as often as I can, but in the mean time I really feel like a Parisian girl now. After 6 years in Paris, I'm still fascinated by 'la ville lumiËre’ (city of lights) and always feel like a tourist when I stroll in the streets of Paris.


Where in Paris are you based, do you have a sep- arate studio or work from home?
I love working at home with my fellow cat Kalua to keep me company. I'm based in 75011 in the east of Paris which is very central and bene ts from being just a step from Le Marais with a lot of good restaurants and galleries.

You have many beautiful pieces of artwork fea- turing some iconic parts of Paris on your web- site, how has working in the French city in u- enced your work?
Thank you! Yes you're right my work is de nitely in uenced by Paris. I think that over the past few years I became prouder and prouder to be Parisi- an and maybe a little bit chauvineI mean, I just fell in love with this beautiful city so it naturally appeared in my work. For example, I love adding French accessories to my girls in the illustrations I create, my favourites brand are Dior, Chloé and Chanel.



Our favourite illustration of yours is the woman on the bike (Rizzoli 2012). What are your favour- ite elements of Parisian lifestyle to capture in your work?
In fact, more than particular elements I try to capture a nostalgic and sweet atmosphere in
my illustrations. I love Paris in the 1950s and the 1960s and I'm very in uenced by Jean-Luc God- ard's movies and muses such as Anna Karina and Brigitte Bardot. 
Some people see Paris as a busy and crowded city, as for me it's the city of strolling. As Victor Hugo said “Errer est humain, âner est Parisien”. (Wan- dering is human, to stroll is Parisian. Victor Hugo, Les Misérables - 1862)

What is a typical working week like for you?
To keep me well organised, I have a daily planner that I print every Sunday and ll with the tasks and meetings of the week. I also set myself goals for the week and for every day to keep me focused on what I want to achieve. The thing I like in being a freelancer is that no week looks like another one. Usually I try to make the most cerebrals tasks in the morning (answering emails, coding on my websites and dealing with my social medias) and the afternoons is for drawing essentially.

Tell us about some of the iconic French brands you’ve been commissioned by, any favourites?
2 years ago Nina Ricci and Ladurée decided to gather their talents to compose a fragrance as a macaron and a macaron as a perfume: La Tentation de Nina. I've been commissioned to create a series of illustrations which have been featured in a short trailer to introduce this beautiful collaboration. I just love working with these 2 mythical Maisons. Recently I also had the chance to draw the invitation of Trianon de Versailles for the event 'La Magie de Deyrolle s'installe au Trianon de Versailles’ and also the sleepover invitation of Galeries Lafayette Haussmann & Airbnb.



Where do you personally go for inspiration? Tell us about any of your favourite spots in the city and favourite art galleries/museums.
I think I'm definitely a Spring girl, so for this reason as soon as the rst rays of sun appear in the city, there is nothing that can make me happi- er than strolling in the streets looking for cherry blossoms and magnolias. Here are my favourite spots to nd owers when Spring shows: Palais Royal Garden, Hotel de Ville and Champs de Mars (a perfect spot to capture a beautiful shot of Ei el tower among with cherry blossom or magnolias). My 3 favourites museums are: The Louvres; I'm literally fascinated by classical paintings of XVIIIe century that you can see at the 2nd oor. Musée d’Orsay, and also Carnavalet Museum (which has also the advantage of being free) dedicated to the capital's history from its origins until today. Located in the Marais, in two neighbouring mansions, the museum depicts Parisians’ lifestyle through ages, with beautiful collections of paintings, sculptures and furnitures. Particularly in love with paintings depicting the elegant society of XIXe century in fashionable places. (Une soirÈe au PrÈ-Catelan).

What do you do during your downtime in Paris?
Weekend are all about strolling in the capital, going in beautiful shop books (Artazart, monte-en-l'air) spending time with friends and discovering new spots (restaurants, bars...). For example I just discovered a cosy Ital- ian restaurant called Boboli in Le Marais last night that I highly recommend!

What is next for you? Are there any exciting projects you’re cur- rently working on you can tell us about? This year I decided to launch my own sta- tionery line which is a very exciting project! I can tell you that everything will be very Parisian of course, a lot of things to deal with, I hope to be ready for September. I also have a line of accessories on Parisian theme to be released soon with Merci Gustave!



Interview by Lucia Thomas-Howard. Visit Ëlodie’s site at www.elodie-illustrations.net  or find her on Instagram @ elodie_illustrations. 


Illustrations courtesy of Ëlodie Nadreau 

Post a Comment

Instagram

© parisian. Design by MangoBlogs.